Mom on the Go

Friday, January 6, 2012

D.A.R.E.

The D.A.R.E. program wasn't around when I was in school, but Sara loved it and even completed the soda challenge.  From what I learned at the graduation it is an amazing program and the police do a great job of teaching the kids about drugs and alcohol in a fun way.  They get to see what smoking does to the lungs and what the effects of drug and alcohol use are.  The kids make the decision now (usually before they have been exposed) not to use drugs or alcohol or smoke.  They also learn what to do if offered any of these harmful substances.

While I am a huge fan of this program does the graduation really need to last 1 1/2 hours?  I mean it was long enough listening to three kids read their essays and reading all the kids names while they went up front to get their certificate; then we had to watch the video of the kids participating in the program and the officers performed some songs in a band.  I mean seriously?  It was a school night and after getting ice cream it was 9:00pm.

We have learned our lesson and when Brandon graduates we will send him with a friend or just one of us will take him instead of going as a family.

Sara with her friend Trinitee in their D.A.R.E. shirts before graduation.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I think I graduated from D.A.R.E., but that long ceremony is ridiculous! It seems better than when I was in it, which is good, because obviously it didn't work for me!

Side note: is Sara super tall, or is her friend super short?!

Love you guys!!

Lara Zierke said...

I won the D.A.R.E. essay in 5th grade. It was my shining moment. :)

Mom on the Go said...

Rachel- I think both :)

Crissy said...

That is awesome! I always missed it. Whenever it was gonna start, we would move...then when I got to the new school, they had just finished it. :( But yeah I think it's smart and a great way for the kids to learn.